Wednesday, August 16, 2017

1912 Daikokuya Postcards

I don't often collect sumo wrestling post cards since they typically are so expensive, but I pick some up every now and then.  This is a recent eBay pickup and I knew I had to get them as I have not seen this style before.  They are prints from hand-drawn originals and the quality is superb.  They are printed with vivid colored ink and have gold-gilt for some of the accents.  I am assuming the original artist's name is on the bottom right corner, but I can't decipher what it is.  The back is pretty typical for postcards of this era....The company name is Daikokuya which was in Tokyo's Ryogoku district.  I really hope I can end up finding more of these, but seeing as this is the first time I have seen this style in several decades it might be a while before I pick any others up.  The two are Ozeki Nishinoumi who went on to become the 25th Yokozuna....the right card is Kunimiyama who retired as an Ozeki after being plagued with a bunch of injuries.

Does anyone else out there like to collect postcards as part of their card collection?


2 comments:

  1. I have a few baseball postcards in my collection. I pretty much consider them oversized cards, so as long as they fit into one of my collections and they're within my budget, I'll grab them. These two are fantastic! Best of luck in finding more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, it seems like postcards are either loved or hated. The early 20th Century is so ripe with awesome postcards, but demand seems to be pretty low.

      Delete