Monday, January 11, 2016

1957 Tsuki 8-9-10 (BC5711)

  First, I want to thank the Japanese baseball card guys at their blogs for giving me a shoutout and a link to my blog here. Also, wanted to say thanks for the kind words and support from the folks that have already checked the site out. I've been poking away at trying to add new content on each series of menko you see on the left. That will be a work in progress for a while I think. This is my first post from my iPhone so we'll see how it goes. Definitely easier to do on my PC, but so far so good here.

   This set is one that had actually eluded me with "large" quantities of menko to build a good checklist off of until last year when I happened upon an small lot of them for auction. Then just a few months ago I discovered this gem of an uncut sheet.   For those that know me, I am a sucker for unopened boxes, uncut sheets, taba packs, and prize display sheets so I knew I had to have this one.  This set is the 1957 Tsuki 8-9-10 (BC5710) and is a color bromide menko series set. As you can see from the photos there are a variety of photos of the rikishi from them standing in there keshi-mawashi to photos of a bout to candid photos...all for the most part against a solid color background. The manufacturer of this set is unknown at the moment and we won't know until a taba pack or prize sheet is discovered. Backs are printed on grey cardboard stock of fairly good quality with blue ink.  There is an image of a gunbai or banzuke board depending on the menko and each menko has a unique back. The winner stamp on these is red and very difficult to find one with the stamp.  The checklist is probably close to complete around 20-30 menko, but it does contain all 4 Yokozuna of the era.  If you come across some of these pick them up as they are extremely rare to find. 



5 comments:

  1. Fans of floating heads are sure to embrace this set. Very cool cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, for sure. The first menko I had from this set was the yellow Fusanishiki menko with the floating head and I had that for years without seeing another menko. I was rather curious at the time what the entire set was destined to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were rich, I'd consider collecting Menkos... since there's so much variety out there. I have at least two baseball cards, but all of these sumo cards are blowing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuji, just started reading your blog. Man, you have a knack for writing and make things fun to read! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Enjoy reading your blog too. The best thing about our blogs is that it brings collectors of similar interests together. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete