Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Sumo World Magazine Archive List

Some may noticed a new tab in the upper right corner of this blog.  In a new...and hopefully fairly quick project....I am scanning the covers and documenting the content of as many Sumo World Magazines as possible.  This English-Language magazine was the go-to publication for decades until just recently.  The editor and publisher of the magazine finally wasn't able to keep up with the print demand, but it is still available electronically on your Kindle.

I have a decent collection starting in 1973 going into the early 2000s and have been scouring the internet for online references to the magazine.  There are surprisingly very few references out there, although at one time there were several sites that supposedly contained good information.  Sadly, those websites no longer exist and I am hoping to at least bring a bit of that nostalgia back here on this blog.  This magazine have a huge array of information available for those that don't read Japanese and the older issues have a lot of historical pieces that are priceless for English readers.  For those that might find a column title interesting in a particular issue, or are doing any research, please give me a holler as I might be able to help.  Enjoy browsing the cover art once this resource is completely up and running.  Here are just a few to whet your appetite...




2 comments:

  1. The cover art on the last one is fantastic! I've been a fan of that particular style since I was a little kid. My parents had a coffee table book and I'd sit there and flip through it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That style is pretty unique for sure. I'm excited about going through all these to see the articles that lie within as well!

    ReplyDelete