Wednesday, August 15, 2018

2017 Japanese BBM Special Event Signed Sumo Wrestling Card - Tochinoshin

It's nice to be back on the grid again with internet.  It took the better part of three weeks to arrange for the repair guy to get out here and exchange our modem with a functioning one, but here we are.  Trying to post anything on my iPhone is frustrating so I held out until I could get back in front of a computer and scanner.  I'm not sure I was too missed, but I sure missed posting.

This summer has been busy with sumo card pickups with a variety of unique and fun items I am hoping to share at some point.  One interesting discovery has been these gold-signed BBM Event Cards.  BBM has promotions around the country (Japan) for its new releases and some of the prizes for the sumo events are these gold-signed cards.  All of them are signed with a gold Sharpie and then embossed with an authentic BBM raised seal.  The scan below doesn't pick up the seal well, but what is really interesting is these are on-card autographs, while the regular signed cards in BBM boxes are sticker autographs.  These are much cooler and unique in my mind than the regular issues.  Here is then-Maegashira Tochinoshin's 2017 Regular Issue card with his auto across the front.

According to BBM's Event Website, if you spent 500 yen at a participating store event, you would be eligible for a kuji drawing, or lottery drawing.  Basically an instant win chance.  If you happened to pull the #1 prize, normally you'd get a box of cards.  A 2nd place prize are these signed cards and a 3rd place pull garnered you 10 free packs of cards.

They do these events for all the BBM releases and so you'll see baseball, soccer, boxing, etc...  I can't image there are more than a handful of cards for each wrestler making these a fun collectible to chase.  Look for the gold ink and raised seal to know they are authentic.




Cheers and have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. It's good to know that BBM takes care of their customers with these kinds of promotions. When getting 10 free packs is your third place prize, you're not doing too bad. Do you have a lot of autographed sumo wrestler cards?

    P.S. If I had to post on my iPhone, I'd probably retire from blogging. Glad you're back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe they don't have the wrestlers sign these and use them in the regular issue sets. Posting on the iPhone is an absolute pain sometimes. Glad to be back!

      Delete
  2. That would be a awesome prize. Haha I would take that as the #1 prize! Glad to see you’re back online man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??!! Thanks and I am glad to be back!

      Delete