Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Sumo Wrestling in BBM's Heisei Era Multi-Sport Set

On 1 May, the Heisei era will end in Japan replaced by a new era called Reiwa as well as having a new emperor take the throne.  It is all over the Japanese news and will continue for months to come as this once-in-a-generation event unfolds.  To celebrate the last 30 years of the Heisei era, BBM is producing a multi-sport set that aims to capture athletes that symbolize Japanese sports during this time.  The checklist is being finalized but it appears to be a standard ~100ish card set with several sparkly subsets.  It does appear that sumo wrestling will be represented, but to what extent is unknown since the Heisei Era was dominated by foreign Yokozuna with only a few Japanese representing sumo's top rank.  Hakuho is shown on the pre-production box are so that is positive. Here is one pre-production image of Yokozuna Wakanohana that gives us a teaser.



Here is a random sampling of some other cards from the set:






 

8 comments:

  1. Baseball! Certainly a set filled with variety. Is this product something you will rip? I'm a one-track collector so forget about sports like judo. This looks fun for the right collector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will likely rip one of these boxes. I like the variety, but I know some collectors don’t like getting all the random sports.

      Delete
  2. That Kuwata card shows him celebrating the Giants clinching the 1994 Central League pennant at Nagoya Stadium. The Giants would go on to win the Nippon Series that year - it was Shigeo Nagashima's first Series championship as manager.

    If the baseball cards highlight events from the Heisei Era I might have to pick up this set (or at least the baseball cards in it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it will highlight the players and accomplishments from the Heisei Era. Looking forward to opening a box.

      Delete
  3. Love the photography on the Muroya and the Kuwata! I know some baseball card collectors aren't fans of multi-sport products, but I'm all for it. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would do small print runs of some of these others sports. Maybe a small 500-box print run of airplane racing would be cool.

      Delete
  4. I'm in the "don't like getting cards of random sports" category. This feels like a real reach on BBM's part, the only thing they have in common is that they are athletes who happened to be athletes during the 31 year reign of a particular emperor, which isn't cohesive enough to get my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you and some days I get annoyed with the variety. Sometimes I feel like I am getting suckered in to buying several more boxes of these to chase mainly the sumo cards. I wish they would do this set without the mainstream sports they already have sets for...sumo, baseball, pro wrestling, etc...

      Delete