Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Mystery Deepens - Merging 2 1950s Sumo Wreslting Menko Sets

My quest to catalogue every sumo menko and card produced and publish my findings has been driving me over the past ~20 years.  These days discovering news sets is few and far between, but this past month I was able to solve a part of a "mystery" that has been bugging me for a while.  The BC598: 1959 Trophy 6 set always stood out as a loner.  These five trophy BC-series menko cards seemed out of place because they only depicted the trophy hardware, never wrestlers.  But I could never pinpoint where they belonged so I gave them their own catalogue number and set name until I could find out.  However, I recently discovered an uncut pair of BC5710: 1957 Yamakatsu Gyoji 5 menko that had both a BC598 and BC5710 on it.  Mystery solved or so it seems.  For some reason I never caught on that on the back of the trophy cards, they had the years associated with the last 8 winners of the trophy that was depicted on the front.  When do the years end?  In the middle of 1958.  So I had the wrong year on both of these sets.  So now I will merge both of these sets and recatalogue them being from 1958, but the question remains, why did Yamakatsu issue these difficult-to-find trophy cards as well as give them a 6-digit Fighting number instead of 5 digits like the rest of their set counterparts?  Were they used for some other prize?  The mystery deepens....


4 comments:

  1. Always wondered what those digits were used for. Actually... I probably read it on your blog at some point, but memory retention isn't what it used to be. Congratulations on solving this sumo card mystery! Did you find these uncut pairs on Google images or were you actually able to purchase them and add them to your collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to an elder Japanese collector and he said as a kid they would use these as a battle game. They would flip the card over and whoever had the highest number would win and keep both cards. Kind of like the game “war” played with playing cards. There were several variations as well to the game.

      I purchased these cards, but don’t have them in hand as of yet. In a warehouse in Japan at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Even though I don't collect sumo cards, it's nice to know that someone is out there putting in the time to try and document all of them.

    ReplyDelete