Thursday, July 5, 2018

Trade Post - Australian Rugby Cards via Indonesia

One of the cool things that I love about this community is the people I get to meet.  Through my sumo blog, I met an Aussie collector (Karl) working down in Indonesia.  He has been helping me work on the Japanese Sumo Wrestling Trump (Playing Card) sets where I am trying to catalog all of them from 1975 to current.  We've traded a few items back and forth and the latest items I am the recipient of are 4 packs of 2018 National Rugby League Traders.  I know very little about rugby, but am excited to have these cards and am hoping to learn more.  I have since come to learn that there are two types of rule sets for Rugby: League and Union.  With respect to this set, there are a whole host of inserts in these 10-card packs.  A quick search of eBay also shows a cool album I may have to snag.  I'm going to open two packs, and keep the other two sealed for the future.  Let's see what I get:



Pack #1:

8 Base Cards: 36, 53, 62, 71, 86, 94, 116, 127
Pearl Special (1 per pack): #86 Michael Morgan
Faces of the Game (1 per 3 packs): #37 Daniel Alvaro

I scanned the two inserts, the knights checklist, and the Robbie Farah card.  Robbie is 34 years old...hard to believe in rugby at least from my perspective.



Pack #2:

8 Base Cards: 19, 24, 50, 108, 111, 138, 143, 160
Pearl Special (1 per pack): #63 Jesse Bromwich
Startoons (1 per 18 packs): #7 Dylan Walker

The Startoons is a clear card with only the image of Dylan opaque although the scan doesn't do it justice!



Thanks so much Karl!

Does anyone else collect rugby cards?

4 comments:

  1. Loved Rugby 7s in the Olympics. My favorite "find" of Rio. Also love the Rabbitohs logo. I would collect them if they were available to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they broadcasted it more, I could see myself really getting into watching it. I like these cards and they are definitely unique. Something different than what I am used to for sure.

      Delete
  2. I had a few friends watch a Rugby 7's tournament at Avaya Stadium last year and they all came back stoked. Told me I really missed out. Maybe it'll eventually make its way back to the Bay Area and I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never seen a match in person. Would love to go watch one!

      Delete