Monday, July 2, 2018

1977 Sportscaster Card - Sumo Wrestling

These 1977-1979 Sportscaster cards have always been fascinating to me.  A bit oversized for sure, but the variety of sports has been very intriguing.  They even managed to make a sumo wrestling one, although I am uncertain who the Yokozuna is.  Probably Wajima or Mienoumi.  What is even more interesting is they printed these cards in both Italy and Japan.  I own the Italian version and only recently picked up the Japanese version and am waiting on shipping.  There are a good handful of "foreign" sets (cards made outside of Japan) that have sumo wrestlers depicted and I plan on cataloguing all the ones I know about under a new "Foreign" heading in my book.


Is anyone else collecting these Sportscaster cards?

4 comments:

  1. I love Sportscasters! When I was a kid, I wanted my parents to subscribe to these so bad. They never did :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very intriguing to me now, but I only have vague memories of them while growing up. A lot of really interesting subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on them. Nothing in bulk has come up for sale in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I wonder why that is? High demand for them at the moment?

      Delete