Monday, February 4, 2019

2019 BBM Japanese Sumo Wrestling Cards - Box Review

I hope everyone is recovering from Super Bowl Sunday...or Super Bowl Monday if you are over here in Europe or Japan.  The 1230 am kickoff is going to be brutal for me, but a once-a-year shock to the body that will definitely be worth it.




Back to sumo cards, the 2019 BBM Sumo Wrestling Card Set hit the shelves a few weeks back and for the first time in I don't remember how long, I am not able to bust a box right away.  It seems the company I've been using regularly for 5ish years decided they didn't want to ship to a military post box anymore. Oh well.  It could be worse and I'll eventually get my box, but have to live the experience through my collecting friends.  One of those friends being Tony offered up some of his thoughts for this post:

Overall thoughts on the set?
 
Overall, I felt the set is pretty good, but the background colors aren't as elaborate as the 2018 set.  The backstage pass cards are cool. (Ryan's thoughts.....the pre-release photos showed them with rounded corners, but it was only a rounded-corner image on a regular trading card...booo).  It's nice seeing the rikishi having a good time and there seems to be more hits in these boxes.  So far we're 3 for 3 on the Facebook Group's boxes getting an autograph.
 
 
Favorite Card?

 
I could honestly say it's my Abi autographed card I got, but that would be a given.  My favorite base card is the Takayasu backstage pass where he is playing baseball in his mawashi.  You can just see how much fun he is having.

 
Favorite Part of the Design?

 
I like the gloss on the card.  I think most all [BBM] cards are like that now.  But I think it adds so much more to the color.  They really pop for sure.  And I like that they're adding the names in English as it helps with us gaijin fans.
 
 
How close were you to completing the base set?

 
I was 9 cards away from completing the base set.  So 80/90 is pretty good odds (Ryan's comments: The set is numbered to 90, but card #21 was removed from the set since Maegashira Takanoiwa was kicked out of the Sumo Association for assaulting a fellow wrestler.  Instead of renumbering the set, BBM simply removed 21 leaving only 89 cards in the base set.)
 
Any other comments?

 
I really hope they're [BBM] reading our comments online and adding more hits to the boxes.  It makes it much more worth buying an unopened box rather than buying a complete set off line for more than half the price.  I think the base cards could use some more action poses that pre-Tachiai poses.  There are some great pictures of flips and throws that would make awesome cards.  Similar to the fight series in last year's set.  Maybe if we could get some retailers here in the States as well.  All in all, I'm happy and will continue to buy them as long as they make them.  (Ryan's comment's:  I couldn't agree more.  BBM is stagnating in the creativity department for their sumo set.  It's like the interns and new designers get the sumo sets to get their feet wet in the basics and then move on to the harder, more interestingly designed sets.)
 
Thanks Tony for contributing to this week's blog post and best of luck trading!

14 comments:

  1. You're welcome! Glad I could contribute my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those Backstage Pass cards. They part of the base set? They would have been really cool if they were inserts that were laminated. Anyways... I hope you pull an autograph when you finally get around to busting open your box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are part of the base set and not short printed. It would have been very interesting to have them actually printed like a backstage pass and not just on card stock. Thanks Fuji!

      Delete
  3. That is too bad that you can't get stuff shipped to you (are you still in Germany?)

    Nice write-up, Tony, I do like the Takayasu baseball cross over. I would think it a difficult sport to play with a mawashi on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be back in the States soon enough and all will be right in the world. BBM has been running this "Behind-the-Scenes" subset for a while now trying to get candid shots of the rikishi. They have some pretty interesting shots out there.

      Delete
    2. Enjoy your last days in Germany though! Are you on a US military base? I spent a lot of my childhood on one there (Ramstein Air Base) and have such fond memories!

      Delete
    3. Hi Sean, we are a little further south of Ramstein. Great memories indeed and we are going to miss it here.

      Delete
  4. I am a sumo fan living in Taiwan and I have recently started collecting cards with the 2019 BBM series. I have attended the January basho in each of the past 3 years, and this year I was able to get a sizeable number of cards, as well as my 2019 sumo calendar, signed by juryo and makuuchi rikishi. I enjoy your interesting and informative blog very much and hope to get in touch with other collectors as I have a number of doubles and I am keen to trade. In another post you mentioned a Facebook trading group if I’m not mistaken. I would be most grateful if you could point me in the right direction to find it. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Look for “BBM Sumo Card Collectors” on Facebook. That is where we do all our trading. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy seeing your posts on these sets. I'll never get to see them in hand so it fun getting a look through your blog. Good looking cards. Great post.

    ReplyDelete