Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Bruce Lee is defeated! 1974 Japanese Yamakatsu "Enter The Dragon" set is complete!


Finally, after at least close to 5 years....maybe longer...I have completed the 1974 Japanese Yamakatsu "Enter the Dragon" set and that is no joke.  For the past couple of years, I have been struggling to find the last two cards at the right price, but they popped up in a few auctions and I pulled the trigger.  Such a relief to have this Series 1 set complete.  For those that aren't familiar with this 144-card set, it is broken up into three series based on the Enter the Dragon and The Way of the Dragon movies and Green Hornet TV series as follows:

Cards #1-48 - Series 1: Enter the Dragon
Cards #49-96 - Series 2: The Way of the Dragon (with Chuck Norris)
Cards #97-144 - Series 3: The Green Hornet TV Series

All three Series get progressively harder to find and complete  Series 1 is the easiest and Series 3 is the hardest, and most expensive.

Here are all 48 cards in their glory!



Now off to tackle the last nine cards in Series 2!

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, congratulations!! Those are amazing, I'm seriously jealous of that collecting feat!

    Good luck with the rest of Series 2 (and presumably Series 3 after that?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A tough set, but Series 2 and 3 are going to be monsters. Tough on the wallet too.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing Series 1. That is a really cool set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been on on my want list for a while now and I’m not getting any younger. Glad to have it behind me!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah! Congrats on the completed series! Was there just not as much of the third series printed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why the 3rd edition is so much harder to find. If they released them at different times they might have not produced as many. Maybe the demand was a lot lower for Green Hornet cards so no as many were purchased and not as many were made. One interesting fact now that I think about it is I have seen two unopened boxes of Green Hornet, but none of the other two series. Might mean it wasn’t a popular seller like the first two series so not a lot on the secondary market.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Enter the Dragon is such a great film... and this is such a awesome set! Super happy for your buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to go back and watch them again. Classic movies for sure!

      Delete
  6. Hi Ryan,
    I just discovered your excellent blog for the first time when searching for information about the 1974 Amada/TOWA Bruce Lee Dragon (ドラゴン)set. I was involved in the Japanese card hobby/business beginning in the late 1980s. and up to around 2007 (you may have seen my name in the Acknowledgement section at the front of Gary Engel's Japanese baseball card checklist and price guide.) I'm about to start selling my collection and remaining stock. I'd like to send you an email about the 1974 Bruce Lee cards I have in the 2nd Series, so if you can contact me through email, that would be appreciated. It would be great to get acquainted. Philip Block

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philip, sorry for the late reply. I did see you name in Engel's book. My e-mail is rakuda_chan at yahoo. Thanks and looking forward to chatting more.

      Delete