Sunday, November 24, 2019

Mystery 1980s Sumo Wrestling Game - What is this?

I picked up this display sheet from the early 1980s of an unknown sumo wrestling game.  It has Kintanoumi, Asashio, and I think Wakanohana (thanks Karl) on each of the envelopes.  Each of the wrestlers has 8 envelopes that measure approximately 7" x 2 3/4" with unknown contents inside.  According to the display sheet, each of the envelopes cost 10 yen.  Inside the envelope feels like a card, but I can't be sure.  On the back of the envelope is the tournament score sheet indicating you are supposed to record the wrestler's results over 15 days.  After that, I'm not sure what you do as part of the game.



What do you think/hope/wish is inside?  Without doing any research, reply with your guess below.  I'll open up one or two of the envelopes this week to find out and update this post.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh neat! I guess it might be some sort of cut-out sumo wrestler that you stand up in a ring and have them fight each other? Its a bit hard to guess though without knowing how thick, etc the envelopes are, do they just contain paper or is a bit thicker?

    Anyway, very interested to see what you find out. Its a rather cool display piece too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean, it feels a bit thicker than a piece of paper. Whatever is inside is flexible, like maybe a thin piece of cardboard.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ryan. That game looks very interesting. My guess is that it's a 'guess the score' type game with each envelope containing a card with the wrestler's image, name, tournament date, etc. on it and a winning record between 8-7 and 15-0. You would keep track of your wrestler's record during the tournament, and if the final tally matched the score on your card, you'd win a prize or something. Also, I don't think the wrestler on the right is Takanosato. I think it might be Wakanohana Kanji II, dating the game at no later than January 1983.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, good guess. I’m really curious now on what is inside. I sure hope it is a more traditional card. Thanks for the information on Wakanohana....I’ll take a look, but figured it was early 1980s.

      Delete
  3. What if there's a treasure map inside? (My real guess would be a thin card that contained an advertisement of some sort, and maybe a sumo's bio or other information.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, maybe it is an advertisement piece...hmm.

      Delete
  4. Dude. You find some of the coolest stuff. Where'd you find this? As for your question... I'll guess it's a sumo wrestler card with some form of dice game, so you can pin the wrestler up against your friend's who opened up a different envelope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the dice game guess. That would have been popular in the early 1980s.

      I picked it up over at Yahoo Japan Auctions.

      Delete
  5. A lock of rikishi hair. Slathered with bintsuke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be epic!! A first memorabilia card in the hobby..

      Delete