Sunday, November 10, 2019

Raw & Uncut: 1946 Two Stripe 3-4 (M462) Sumo Wrestling Menko Sheet

I'm continuing to clear out my backlog of uncut cards that I picked up these past few months and finally was able to catalog this new set.  From 1946, this new set is distinguishable by the two striped poles/lines on the left and right side of the card on the back.  Beautiful hand-drawn pictures of the wrestlers dominate the front against a bright, vivid background.  Likely, these menko that I picked up were from unissued inventory or sat tucked away in the backroom of a dagashiya for all these years.  Regardless, they make a new and interesting addition to the M-series of menko and will be catalogued in the 5th edition of my book.

Some huge names dominate this set from 1946 which featured only 1 tournament that year due to the post-war depression and rebuilding that was occurring in Japan.  The great Yokozuna Futabayama had just retired so the current/future Yokozuna, Terukunia, Haguroyama, and Azumafuji, were on their way to dominating the sport over the next 7 years and are aptly captured in this set.

I have only seen this set pop up recently and there continues to be uncut sheets for sale as the seller is trying to clear out his/her inventory. 

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!


6 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful set, I love the vivid colors!

    Do you ever frame your uncut sheets for display? I've been thinking about doing it with one or two of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never framed any of my uncut sets. I think I am too worried about the cards fading.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the fading is a concern for me too. I have a few baseball cards that I have propped up on a shelf in my office (1980 Topps cards of Reggie Jackson, Johnny Bench and Rod Carew). They aren't ever exposed to direct sunlight, but I can tell they are slowly fading. Which means I can never do that with an expensive sheet, but I'm still always tempted since they look so great!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it’s so hard to balance these one-of-a-kind, few-of-a-kind menko. Want to show them off, but also protect them as much as possible.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Sean. These are gorgeous. It's pretty cool that they were able to print these with such amazing colors one year after the war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty amazing. The printing industry must have gotten a jump start right after the war.

      Delete