Saturday, June 27, 2020

Fuji's Mountain of Goodies

Fuji is one of the most generous guys in the sports-card blogiverse.  Recently he sent out a bunch of PWEs to fellow collectors and I was the lucky recipient of one that was filled with Nolan Ryan cards.  As a kid, I grew up revering Nolan and had a decent sized collection of his (pre-internet days) and still do.....I continue to dabble in his cards and try to pick up the modern inserts for cheap when I run across them.  Fuji didn't disappoint and hooked me up with some awesome modern cards (including a Saturn V card....legit!) as well as early 1990s Upper Deck that I never turn down.  Nolan was a beast on the mound....here are some excerpts that pulled from the back of these cards:
 
He is the oldest pitcher to throw a no hitter:  43 in 1990 for his 6th and 44 in 1991 for his 7th!
He started pitching in the Majors before Man landed on the moon.
He struck out 19 batters in a 7-inning high school game.
He struck out 272 batters in his first minor-league season with the Mets in 1966.
He won 43 games combined in 1973 and 1974!
He struck out 383 batters in 1973!
He got his 300th win on 31 June 1990....almost 30 years ago to the day!
His 5714 strikeouts has doubled all but nine other pitcher's strikeout totals!!!!
 
Fuji, thanks for the package and expanding my Nolan collection!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You're a hard guy to save cards for... since I highly doubt I'll find any sumo cards you'll ever need. And there are only so many Brandon Laird cards to buy. It's good knowing where I can send extra Nolan Ryans cards to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always seem to nail just the right care packages. Much appreciated as always!

      Delete