Saturday, June 13, 2020

These are a few of my dangerous things....Japanese Toxic Creatures

The late 1970s and early 1980s in Japan were the wild west of trading cards much like the early 1990s was in the United States.  They made trading cards (called mini cards) of a wide variety of subjects and some real head scratchers for sure.  One of these sets by Amada was called "Toxic/Poisonous Creatures".  Once I discovered this set out there, I knew I had to have it.  Comprised of 40 cards as well as winner cards to claim a whole box of additional bonus cards (see picture below), this set captures the creatures from around the world that could more or less kill you.  What kid would not want a set consisting of poisonous sea creatures, snakes, spiders, scorpions, and killer insects?  It reminds me a lot of the educational cards that National Geographic would release to shape influential young minds.  What are your thoughts on collecting these type of odd-ball sets?



8 comments:

  1. I seem to recall a set like this coming out in the early 90's, but don't remember what it was called -- I do know though that the packs and boxes weren't nearly as attractive as these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This set is interesting...can't say the photography is the best though. These odd balls sets are attractive in their own right.

      Delete
  2. Nice-looking cards and display box!

    Trading cards that help kids learn about fun stuff like animals or insects are great. I recently bought a set of early-90s dinosaur trading cards for my little nephew, who is at the "dinosaurs all day" stage. Hopefully he'll read through all the information on the back of each card as he gets a little older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point...I would imagine these were pretty fascinating to kids 40 years ago.

      I have some of those dinosaur cards too. I’m definitely happy that the plethora of 1990s cards happened and we have some fun stuff to collect.

      Delete
  3. I love the concept of putting in "winners cards" and actually providing the shop with the prizes so the kid could immediately claim their prize. You already know that I love everything about Japanese trading cards. Poisonous animals, sumo wrestlers, cartoon characters, baseball players. You name it. I collect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, if you see in the picture the black plastic bags...those contained the 3 winner card packs. Shop owners would randomly sees those in the box I am told.

      Delete
  4. I love Amada mini cards, especially when they come in the box like that. I don't have that set but I've seen it before, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amada did some pretty cool sets during this era. My favorite by far is the 6-series Famicon set. Talk about a "monster" of a set to try and put together as well. Crazy!

      Delete