Monday, August 3, 2020

Congrats - Maegashira Terunofuji wins his 2nd Sumo Championship!

It's great to see some lower-ranked rikishi on the winner's podium, especially a former Ozeki who, plagued by injuries, dropped all the way down the 2nd lowest division and then managed to dominate all the way back up the banzuke and win his 2nd championship.  Congrats Terunofuji!  Here is his 2018 BBM card that shows him ranked as a Sekiwake on his way down from Ozeki.  Notice his knees all bandaged up which was ultimately his reason for temporarily faltering.

I hope everyone has a great week! 

9 comments:

  1. Glad to see, I guess this'll see him as Komusubi or Sekiwake in the next tournament. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly, I’m wondering if he’ll just fall short and stay a Maegashira though.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, I hadn't noticed that he was all the way down at Maegashira 17. This must bump him up at least to Maegashira 1 or 2 though I would think. I guess it depends on how everyone else is moving up/down. Glad to see him back in form anyway!

      Delete
    3. Let's hope his knees hold out a little while longer.

      Delete
  2. I gotta root for any wrestler with Fuji in the name ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, perfect! Your ring name (Shikona) would be Fujinofuji I have a feeling.

      Delete
    2. Next time I need help creating a username, I'll come back to this post.

      Delete
  3. This is going to be a Captain Obvious type of comment, but Terunofuji is a big dude. The image on the front of the card makes him look even bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he is over 400 pounds. A big dude indeed and lots of stress on those knees.

      Delete