Monday, February 8, 2021

Living Blog Bat-Around - Merlin Olsen/Jack Youngblood - HOF Sumo Wrestlers

I'm kicking off a "Living" Blog Bat-Around featuring Merlin Olsen and Jack Youngblood; two Hall of Fame defensive players from the "1st" Los Angeles Rams team.  Why Merlin and Jack?  I'll describe in a second, but there is no cost to participate except for a PWE and some of your time to write a post.  After each post, sign the Card Savers, and then throw the cards and remaining stamps (I'm including their 1975 Topps cards and all the stamps) in a PWE to send to the next person.  After you get the cards, the idea is to write a post that relates to the cards.  Maybe about 1970s collecting, 1970s football, the Los Angeles Rams, or you might even have a cool story to tell about Merlin or Jack.  At the end I'm hoping someone can send the cards back to me. I'll summarize what everyone wrote and try to do something fun with the cards like auctioning them off for charity or see if Jack will sign his card and then auction.  Ideas always welcome.  Okay, here goes my post....



Regional tours (jungyo) are an important part of sumo culture.  In between the main May/July/September summer tournaments that are held in Tokyo and Nagoya, sumo wrestlers travel into the countryside to bring the sport to rural fans that aren't able to experience a main tournament.  On occasion, these tours take them overseas as was the case June 1976 when the wrestlers traveled to Los Angeles to highlight the sport.  Given that the only comparably-sized athlete in the U.S. were football players, Jack Youngblood (6' 4" - 248 pounds) and Merlin Olsen (6' 5" - 270 pounds) from the local L.A Rams were asked to compete against each other in the ring to win the honor of then wrestling against an actual sumo wrestler in an exhibition match in front of 4000 spectators.  Jack beat Merlin and then subsequently lost against then-Makushita wrestler Taiko (5' 10" - 255 pounds).  It was all in good fun and these two future HOFs were able to add sumo wrestling to their repertoire.  Merlin went on to a successful broadcasting and acting career after playing football and passed away in 2010 at the age of 69.  He was elected to the HOF in 1982.  Jack stayed active in a variety of businesses and ventures before being elected to the HOF in 2001.


(Photos from July 1976 Sumo World Magazine)

Okay, anyone up for receiving the cards for the next Living Blog Bat-Around?

19 comments:

  1. And here I thought I was familiar with most things Merlin Olsen, and yet I had never heard about this event. Much obliged to you for covering it :)

    As far this BBA goes, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to create anything of interest, but if you're needing participants, I'd be more than happy to try and give it a go. Although I'd prefer not to be first if possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, it seems Fuji is going to be first up and then we’ll see where it goes from there! It is a pretty interesting story, no doubt.

      Delete
  2. Awesome post Ryan! That photo of Youngblood and Olsen facing off against each other is fantastic. And you know I'm always down for a BBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a unique story. Looks like you get first crack at the next PWE. I’ll get it in the mail this week! Thanks for volunteering to be #1!

      Delete
  3. That is neat, though I would have had a bit more respect for them if they hadn't sissied out and worn shorts under their mawashi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??!! After one spends a few months in Japan, onsens are not that big of a deal anymore.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I never heard about this before, especially since I was born and raised in LA and I was a die-hard Rams fan back in the 70's. And it took place at the LA Sports Arena, a place I worked at for 10 years starting in 1984! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It’s definitely and interesting story. Be on the lookout for Fuji’s next Bat Around and hopefully you can jump in. Would love to hear more about the 1970s LA Rams!

      Delete
  5. I could come up with a Merlin Olsen post for a BBA. Might not be unique, but I could write it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep a lookout for Fuji’s post. The cards are on the way to him!

      Delete
    2. Hi Adam, can you send me you address? Will get you on the list. My email is rakuda_chan at yahoo.

      Delete
  6. this sounds awesome, i'm in! where do i sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks for the interest! Send me your address at rakuda_chan at yahoo and we’ll get you on the list. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. this is awesome, I'm where do we sign up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a fun idea! Appreciate you signing up. Send me your address at rakuda_chan at yahoo and I’ll get you on the list! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Fuji's post led me here and it was an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete