Friday, July 16, 2021

Pop Quiz Hotshot - 1941 Japanese Quiz Menko

Anyone remember what movie the quote "Pop Quiz Hotshot" is from?  If not, I have the answer at the bottom of this post.  I love quizzes and trivia and was the kid who wanted to play Trivial Pursuit growing up.  Not that I was particularly good at all the categories, but I found it fascinating to learn new things about the world.

In 1941, this menko set was printed to test kid's on their knowledge of one of the 82 different winning moves (kimarite) in sumo.  A drawing on front depicted one of the winning moves and inside a circle on the front asked which move it was...there were small clues in the question asking which throw, or which trip, or which push was used.  Then on the back the kids would discover the answer.....simple idea really and well executed on this set.  I was able to pick more of this set up since I reported on it almost 2 years ago.

I have catalogued this set as the M416: 1941 Circle Quiz 5 set and each menko measures approximately 1 3/8" x 2 7/8".






If you are wondering what moving the first quote was from, if you guessed "Speed" then you are correct!  Here is a short clip featuring this famous movie quote:

Have a great week and sayonara!

8 comments:

  1. A. My family loved Trivial Pursuit. One year I got the sports edition expansion box. I remember pulling the cards out and studying them.

    B. Great looking cards (as usual).

    C. I had no idea on the movie, but after watching the clip... I remembered it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Trivial Pursuit growing up!!! So many good memories!! Speed is a classic that I don’t watch often enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that anyone could forget what movie that line was from, I mean it made it into the popular lexicon, and stuck around for what seemed like years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember saying it often when it came out. A great movie.

      Delete
  4. Man, those menko are so cool. I'm picturing an American wrestling equivalent that features moves like the suplex, body slam, and figure-4 leg lock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be neat to see an equivalent American set.

      Delete
  5. Not related to this post but I got th cards today, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete