Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Sumo World Magazine Archive Now Populated!

After several weeks, I was finally able to get all of my Sumo World Magazine covers scanned and uploaded along with the table of contents.  Check out the archives in the upper, right of the web version....or at the top scroll down menus of the mobile version.  It was definitely a walk down the path of history as I was scanning through each of the magazines during the scanning and upload process.  I am hoping people will enjoy the cover art and if there are any articles you'd like to read, let me know.  I'll continually add to this archive as I get more and more, but here are some of my favorite covers:

One of the greatest Yokozuna of all time and an incredible physique!



Takamiyama was arguably the reason sumo became popular outside of Japan!



Akebono...the first foreign Yokozuna and a Hawaiian hero!



I love picture banzuke and this cover showcases these unique pieces of art.


It is not everyday you have 4 active Yokozuna...let alone all of them posing for photos.


This image captures all that is sumo.....plus the scandals that go with sumo.


7 comments:

  1. Ok I know nothing about Sumo, but I do remember the face of Takamiyama from my youth. That's a nice collection you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It definitely has been fun chasing individual magazines.

      Delete
  2. Wow. These covers are fantastic! Did they produce Sumo World Magazine in 1972? I'd love to track down an issue for my birthday pc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They started at the beginning of 1973 unfortunately....you were born one year too early!

      Delete
  3. These are pretty cool! The cover for my birth month (November 1981) is action-packed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like some good topics to read in that issue!!

      Delete