Thursday, February 2, 2017

2017 BBM Sumo Wrestling Box Break - Part #2...or why I love sets with multiples of 9

What I love about the Japanese BBM sumo wrestling sets is that there are 99 cards in the base set.  99 is such a wonderful number...in fact, sumo sets used to be 72 cards, 180, 189, even 153.....these are nice numbers in the collecting world as they fit 9-pocket sheets for the binder.  No partial-filled sheets to figure out what to do with.  Nice and tidy.

I opened up 8 more packs of the 2017 BBM Sumo Wrestling set and was pleasantly surprised that I walked away with only 15 doubles.  A little upset that 3 whole packs worth of cards were doubles, but hopefully these will be good trade bait to fill in the holes with fellow collectors.  Here are the cards I got:


Where else can you get a sports card with an athlete eating a watermelon??!!!  Japan of course...anyone that has ever lived there will know the watermelon is a staple during the summer months.   Also, nailed the #1 card in the set with Yokozuna Harumafuji.




More food!


During practice the hair gets messed up quite a bit as seen in Sato's photo here.



Maegashira Hidenoumi owning the pink mawashi...a color you don't normally see.


New Juryo wrestler Oamami.  We are expecting great things from him!

For those that are interested, a small group of sumo card collectors resides on Facebook.  Check us out.  BBM Sumo Card Collectors....

I'll get the last 8 packs up in the next few days!  Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. watermelon & sumo wrestlers are a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Definitely. I love Japanese cards.....more edgey than American cards sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, fascinated! What do these cards read? Are there interesting facts on the cards? Secret tidbits about the wrestlers? What in your mind are the Holy Grail of vintage Menkos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing too different than American baseball cards and mainly statistics on the backs. The late 1800s have the Holy Grails of menko...the very first.

      Delete
  4. Oh-and are the sumo wrestlers garb unique to tge wrestler? Are there famous wrestlers on the lines of say a Babe Ruth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Futabayama is the Babe Ruth of sumo wrestlers in my opinion. He popularized the sport to far reaching audiences at the time.

      Delete
  5. Hi again, thank you so much for responding! I am an illustrator and create products once in a while and was thinking of making a set of Cat Sumo pins. Love to ground them with real Sumo wrestlers and create card backs that recall the vintage menko-with the slightly off register printing you wrote about. Might you guide me? It hopefully will ve about utilizing your knowledge and getting your opinion. I will be glad to give you a set. I am going to start with 3-at most. If you go to my website you can see my books and stuff. Let me know! Lynn@lynnchang.com. 626 673 3076.

    ReplyDelete