Thursday, February 9, 2017
Anyone interested in doing this? 2017 Japanese BBM Group Box Break Competition Club
The latest issue of SCM (#121)came out a few weeks ago and I got mine not too long after that. Dave over at the Japanese Baseball Cards blog did a nice summary of the issue. One thing that has always been interesting for me in the magazine is the box break competition that they do in almost every issue. The basic premise is 4 Mint Card Shop owners (or a substitute from the card industry if one of the owners can't do it) open boxes of new BBM product and then compare their hits and declare a winner. Here is the spread from the issue:
My question is would any of my fellow bloggers or readers be interested in forming a similar group?
Obviously some details we'd need to work out if there is any interest, but I think it would be a great way to open some unique Japanese products and showcase the sets for others on our blogs.
To get started on gauging interest, here are some high level details that I was thinking:
1. Open between 4-6 products throughout the year. We'd have to agree generally what the products would be. As a suggestion here are some options (Pure Heart Wrestling, Sumo Wrestling, a ton of baseball products, Shining Venus, Soccer, P.League Bowling, Rugby)
2. We don't even have to open 2017 stuff, or even BBM...there is some older stuff we can still snap up for cheap.
3. Get commitments from between 4-6 people. There would be some cost to this as we'd all have to buy our own boxes and have them shipped. There could be some costs savings buying in bulk (one person buys), but those are details to work later. It could be anywhere between $60-$100 per break depending on how you get your box.
4. Determine a point system per break so a winner is declared each break. I was thinking highest % of base set completion, points for autographs, and inserts would earn points. We would have to decide a point system each box break since each product will have different content. I don't mind donating a $20 gift card or something like that to the winner of each break.
5. Overall winner at the end of the year (most points, or highest average points per box) would be the annual winner. Maybe all the "losers" could pitch in $15-$20 each at the end to buy the winner a box of something.
6. Each person would post break results on their blogs at a set time.
7. Each person could maybe "miss" one box break and still be eligible for the overall winner.
Anyway, something fun I thought we could try. If there is any interest, or questions, send a reply in this blog entry. If we get enough interest, and eventual commitments after the details are hammered out better, we can press ahead and I don't mind organizing it all. Thanks!