Tuesday, September 4, 2018

German Flea Market Finds #4: 1990s Telephone Cards from around the World

Germany has been good to me with random flea market finds and this one in particular had me very intrigued.  Back in the early 1990s, telephone card collecting was all the rage across the world.  If you read old U.S. Tuff Stuff magazines from this time, they had more and more telephone cards in advertisements and in the news.  In Japan, the telephone card was insane with some cards going for thousands of $US.  Europe was not immune to the craze and numerous countries issued cards in hopes of enticing collectors.  Sadly, my son has no idea of the struggles to make a phone call from a pay phone when he is out with his friends....anyway, I ran across this German album at one of the local flea markets that was designed just for telephone card collecting.  The front has "Telefonkarten - Merkator Hamburg and inside are 5 plastic pages that hold 40 telephone cards from around the world during this insane collecting time.  There are German, Singapore, Irish, Gibraltar, Japanese, British, French, and other ones I can't figure out.  I grabbed a few select ones here to show, but I am really digging these and am hoping I can find more when I am out and about.  I mean, who doesn't love some early 1990s Hulk Hogan and Bill Clinton cards??!!






Did anyone else ever collect phone cards growing up?

6 comments:

  1. Heck yeah, I collect (and still collect) phone cards. These are flippin' awesome! Congratulations on the super awesome flea market find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I have some doubles so will get them in your next care package.

      Delete
  2. That Hulkster is sweet, brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, the Hulkster did a bunch of commercials in Japan in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I bet it netted him millions of dollars.

      Delete
  3. I never knew this was a thing! So cool! Hulk Hogan was a idiol as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely huge in Japan during the 1990s. I’m starting to get into the sumo ones, but they can be spendy and a fair amount of people still collect them.

      Delete