Monday, November 5, 2018

Topps Stranger Things is stuck in the Upside Down!

For most people reading this blog, you are probably of the age to relate to most things from the 1980s.  Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, ET, trading cards, Dungeons and Dragons...the list goes on.  If you are still reading this blog, you definitely need to check out the show "Stranger Things" on Netflix if you haven't already done so.  An amazing cast of child and adult actors, a great storyline, and set in the 1980s which brings back a ton of nostalgia.  After two years, Topps was finally able to secure the license to manufacture trading cards.  Announced back in June, the original release date was mid October and eventually pushed back to 31 October.  Further delays have pushed the Hobby boxes back to the end of November, but Topps was able to release Blaster and Retail Boxes last week......which is fine by me because I really want to only collect the base set anyways.  Sure, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy the base set from folks are just chasing the inserts and parallels, but given the old-school nostalgia of the show, I want to hand collate the 100-card base set from packs....just like I did back in the 1980s.  I'll probably complete the Character Cards, Character Stickers and Scene Sticker sets as well.

Topps gave us a sneak peak with some online picture teasers and this promotional card handed out at the New York Comic Con.  Singles are already starting to pop up on eBay and the scramble to pick up the hard-to-find parallels will be in full swing.

Who else is chasing this set?



5 comments:

  1. I love this show. Have binge watched it twice... and even dressed up as Dustin for Halloween last year. If I see blasters at Target, I'll probably pick up two and try to build this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I would have loved to see that. Yeah, I ordered some blaster, retail, and hobby boxes.

      Delete
  2. I really love that show too. Along with Better Call Saul and The Expanse it is the only contemporary TV show that I ever watch. Can't wait for the next series. Its kind of fitting that they would make a card set for it, the characters in the show look like ones who would have collected Ghostbusters cards back in the day (I loved the Halloween episode where they dressed up as Ghostbusters, my mom made a Ghostbusters costume for me in 1984 and it brought back memories)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing missing in the set is a stick of gum and a wax pack. Pretty cool retro set.

      Delete
  3. The show is great. My wife got me hooked and I can't wait for the next season. I definitely want to pick up some of these cards and maybe a blaster. I'm still waffling on which approach to take. The design looks good so I'll be happy to see these in hand.

    ReplyDelete