Wednesday, January 16, 2019

1958 Japanese Star Karuta with Sumo Wrestlers - K581

I've long know about this karuta game set, but only recently managed to pick up the picture cards.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the reader cards to complete the set, but hopefully will find some soon.  This karuta link explains the game a bit more, but in a nutshell this game is played in groups of at least three.  The game begins with all the picture cards face up.  Someone reads the reader card and then the other children try to determine which picture card it corresponds to.  The first person to slap the picture card keeps it and then the next reader card is read.  The person with the most picture cards at the end is the winner.

This K581: 1958 Star Karuta set was first identified by the baseball community and is catalogued by them as JK 25: 1958 Pink Border due to the 15 baseball players found in the set.  There are also 13 sumo wrestlers in the set (hence the sumo catalogue number) as well as famous singers and actors.  The one "oddball" card?  Superman makes an appearance as the letter "Ro".


Issued in an unknown magazine in 1958, these karuta cards measure 2 3/8" x 3 3/8" and came in perforated sheets that had kids separate the cards individually after they purchased the magazine.  They are blank backed, but are printed on fairly thick cardboard stock.

Anyone else ever play karuta?

6 comments:

  1. i no nothing about these cards but they are wild with color! Seems very ahead of their time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The set is very vivid for sure which makes them pretty unique for their time.

      Delete
  2. I just played Karuta last night! My son has a dinosaur themed set of them (he loves dinosaurs) and we play it before he goes to bed every night. He and my wife had to teach me how to play, I only learned a few months ago (though I have a Nintendo themed set of my own kicking around somewhere).

    Those ones are beautiful, I love how bold the colors are. The Superman one is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I imagine there are sets for every interest out there. I remember playing quite a bit when I was living in Japan. My host family had an old heirloom Hyakunin Isshu set we'd play with along with Jomo Karuta.

      Delete
  3. Never played it. Heard about it today. Sounds like a great game for kids though. Practice those listening skills. Like most vintage cardboard, this stuff is awesome. They seem so colorful for 50's cardboard. That Superman is especially awesome. Great stuff Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s extremely popular in Japan with the kids. Pretty fun and competitive. I think they actually have national karuta championships too.

      Delete