Sunday, January 12, 2020

I've been Zapped! Thanks Kenny at Torren' Up Cards!

Got a nice Zap this past week via Kenny over at Torren' Up Cards!  I never turn down any Brandon Laird cards from his MLB-playing days and these fit nicely in my collection.  Any numbered signature card is definitely a nice addition as well with this 2011 Bowman Chrome Prospects Auto #ed to 500.  Brandon arguably had one of his better years in the NPB this year, although his Marines still finished 9.5 games behind the league leaders.  Let's hope next year brings Brandon and the Marines a lot better results.



Kenny also hooked me up with this authentic sumo wrestling banzuke, or ranking sheet, from the July 1999 tournament.  Awesome!!  I had just landed in Japan at the end of this tournament to start working, although not a sumo fan yet.  Some great rikishi on this banzuke for sure: Akebono, Musashimaru, Takanohana, Wakanohana, Asashoryu (all the way down at Sandanme...the writing is so small I can't even find his name yet), and Kaio.

Thanks a million Kenny!

6 comments:

  1. Big shoutout to NPB Card Guy for graciously forwarding this to you lol.

    Glad you liked the Laird's and the banzuke, I got the banzuke from the former owner of Caps right around the time they were going out of business and just wanted to shed as much stuff as they could. Since then it's been specifically marked as something just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a huge assist from NPB Card Guy as well!

      A perfect zapping....thanks a ton!

      Delete
  2. That banzuke is awesome! You should get a frame for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are small works of art. Would love to have it framed someday.

      Delete
  3. I just arrived in Japan in 1999 too! I watched sumo on TV a bit in my first year but it wasn't until 2005 that I went to see it in person for the first time (at the March tourney in Osaka).

    Kind of neat to see a Banzuke with Asashoryu early in his career like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool banzuke for sure. I plan on taking out the microscope and finding his name. 1999 was a great year in sumo, too bad I missed it!!

      Delete