Monday, July 27, 2020

Making Time to Read - 1960s Japanese Sumo Wrestling Bookmark

These days, you'd think that I would have a lot more time to read....however, with the lines blurred between my work space and office space within the confines of my home I tend to spend a lot more time working which leaves a lot less time for reading.  I do love to read....magazines, manga, books, blogs...you name it, one of my escapes is reading and if you can throw in a fireplace to sit in front of, I am in heaven.  The Japanese are avid readers as well and bookmarks are a staple for any Japanese kid.  In the 1950s and 1960s, bookmarks were often given away as promotional items inside monthly children's magazines as is the case with this bookmark below.  The Manga King (γΎγ‚“γŒηŽ‹)magazines were extremely popular from the early 1960s to 1970s and included this Yokozuna Wakanohana bookmark in a magazine from likely 1960 or 1961. This is the only one I have seen in almost two decades of collecting attesting to its rarity...much like the rarity in my reading time these days.

Stay safe out there and thanks for stopping by. 


6 comments:

  1. I love bookmarks, I had a few random ones when I was about 7 or 8 and remember being thrilled when I found a new one I liked. That is a beauty! There are some old baseball ones out there which I'd like to pick up at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese have a long history of bookmarks and there are some pretty cool ones out there.

      Delete
  2. Very cool collectible. And the fact that you've only seen one in twenty years makes it extra cool. The colorful artwork definitely caught my eye. If I stumbled across this at a card show or flea market, I probably would have never guessed it was a sumo bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some nice manga artwork for sure. Ones with sumo wrestlers are a little more difficult to find for some reason. Wish Wakanohana had a more prominent picture.

      Delete
  3. With cool bookmarks like this one, what kid wouldn't get more interested in reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. Lots of different kinds out there to entice the little ones.

      Delete