Sunday, September 20, 2020

1956 Japanese Sumo Magazine Card Inserts

We are well into our 6th month of coronavirus lock down and I sure hope everyone out there is doing well.  These are once-in-a lifetime, life-changing events so I can't complain about the relatively minor impacts my family and I are going through.  One thing that has affected my hobby of collecting sumo cards is the shipping of material from Japan now takes 2 months instead of 1-2 weeks.  Alas, the bright side is I often forget what I bought so there are great surprises when I get to open the boxes.  One of these nice surprises is this set of 1956 black and white bromide cards that was issued as a free giveaway to the purchasers of the March 1956 Sumo "相撲" magazine.  They are postcard sized with blank backs and came in this thin paper sleeve.  The entire set is 9 cards which represents the top 9 wrestlers at the time.  I have another set of these, but for almost 10 years I never knew how they were issued so I had originally cataloged them as a 1956 BB-Series (Black and White Bromide) set.  Now they are cataloged as a Z-Series (Magazine Insert) set with the designation Z563: 1956 Sumo Magazine Facsimile Bromide Set.  Here is the checklist:

Yokozuna Tochinishiki

Yokozuna Yoshibayama

Yokozuna Chiyonoyama

Yokozuna Kagamisato

Ozeki Wakanohana

Ozeki Ouchiyama

Ozeki Matsunobori

Sekiwake Asashio

Sekiwake Tokitsuyama


Stay safe and have a great week!






4 comments:

  1. Hope you had a good weekend buddy. How was your drive up the coast? Did someone have fun with a marker on the cover of that sumo magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drove down the coast the other way yesterday. Was definitely worth it and we got to stretch the Jeep's legs. No marker, Wakanohana needed some dental work badly for most of his active career. Lots of smoking it looks like...or some smashed in teeth.

      Delete
    2. On the bright side... he's not afraid to show them choppers off.

      Delete
    3. Definitely the U.S. is quite advanced in dental care when you look at many other nations.

      Delete