Monday, November 30, 2020

2020-2021 BBM Japanese Basketball B.League Cards Arrive - 15 January!

It has been a long time since I have done one of these announcement posts for the upcoming Japanese B.League BBM Basketball card releases.  The past few years there has been some mid-season boxed set that always peaks my interest, but this year due to COVID both BBM and B.League opted to forgo any such sets.  So last January was the last time we saw any new B.League basketball card product.  Well, the new season is upon us with the first games kicking off several months ago which also means a new card set is forthcoming as well.  BBM's fifth annual release is slated to drop in stores in mid-January 2021.  Normally how BBM does it is they release two separate series a month apart.  Series 1, called "1st Half", comes out in January and Series 2, called "2nd Half", comes out in February.  I don't expect them to do anything differently this year and I will be jumping on board since I have been buying the boxes since the 2016-2017 season.  Interestingly they have slashed the box prices by ¥2000 from ¥8000 down to ¥6000.  However, they have also reduced the number of packs in the box from 20 to 15.  With 5 cards per pack, you are looking at only 75 cards per box.  The base set is 132 cards so it will easily take you 3-4 boxes to complete a set by hand.  Here is a preview image of the set design.  Not a very exciting design at all and an odd picture choice as well of Yuki Togashi, unfortunately.





6 comments:

  1. I'm really glad they are still doing these. With a 5th consecutive season I believe they now have the record for longest consecutive run of cards outside the NBA and WNBA. Hope I can get my hands on some at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Pretty popular league and it seems to be well managed. Hopefully you an get some as well too. I haven't opened too many boxes of these except in the early days so no doubles at the moment to send you way.

      Delete
  2. Did you buy 4 boxes so you could build the set? It's not as fun... but do you ever look for completed sets online, instead? Have fun with your boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't purchased any boxes yet, but rest assured, there will be some in my collection soon! I do like to buy completed sets as they are dirt cheap in Japan.

      Delete
    2. How dirt cheap are they in Japan? I just got a box and am debating whether to open or not. Can you please provide a box break breakdown (# inserts to expect, etc.)? Thank you in advance.

      Delete
    3. They are pretty cheap these days.

      Delete