Saturday, February 1, 2020

The GOAT touched my sumo wrestling card!

Every sport has a Greatest Of All Time (GOAT).  Baseball has Ruth, Basketball has Jordan, Hockey has Gretsky, Football has Brady, Soccer has Pele.....the list can go on and on for all the sports.  In sumo wrestling, the arguably GOAT is current Yokozuna Hakuho.  Here are a few reasons why he has been given this title by many fans...

- 43 Career Championships.....10 more than the next closest wrestler
- 15 Perfect (0-loss) Championships.....7 more than the next closest wrestler
- 1147 Career wins...100 more than the next closest wrestler
- 75 tournaments ranked as a Yokozuna...12 more than the next closest wrestler

I could dig up more statistics, but Hakuho's lifetime of achievment is staggering.  If these aren't GOAT statistics, I don't know what is.  He looks as if he could compete for 3-4 more years easily and be competitive in each of the tournaments he competes in. 

For those that know me, I don't chase autographed cards...or at least go out of my way for any, but the one that I always would compromise on if I found it was a good, authenticated Hakuho signed card.  For reference, there are 4 ways to get authenticated BBM signed cards of sumo wresters:

1. Pack Issued - Sticker autos with serial numbering issued in BBM's annual card releases
2. Official Event Signed - Gold ink, on-card autos with embossed seals given as prizes at official BBM card events around Japan
3. Kokugikan (Sports Arena) Signed - On-card autos encased in a red and white-colored acrylic case with the BBM and Kokugikan logos.  They also come with two acrylic legs to prop it up on your desk
4. In-Person Signed

In July 2017, Hakuho surpassed Ozeki Kaio for the most career wins (the record at the time was 1147 wins).  The Kokugikan and BBM collaborated to release a special signed 2017 Tamashi card where Hakuho wrote "1050 勝" "1050 wins" along with his signature on one of the Kokugikan-Signed cards.  One of my collecting buddies happened to have two of them and was thinning his collection a bit and I knew this was the card that needed to be in my collection.  I'm not sure how many of these are out there, but likely fewer than 100.  Regardless, the GOAT has touched and signed this card!





I hope everyone enjoys the Super Bowl! 

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's amazing to me how many of the greatest ever in sports have all been active very recently, with the exception of Ruth, in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athlete health and sports performance has really lengthened careers and recovery.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations bud! That's an awesome addition to your collection! There is something extra special knowing that the athlete actually held the same piece of cardboard that you now own. I was actually thinking about the same thing earlier this week when I pulled out my Kobe autograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an epic grab...very unique in the sumo world for sure and why I am not a huge fan of sticker autos. I was thinking the same thing about Kobe cards this past week......

      Delete
  3. You probably already know this but Hakuho has appeared on two "Ceremonial First Pitch" cards for BBM - 2006 2nd Version and 2008 2nd Version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do....those are pretty unique. Cool crossover cards for sure.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that is awesome! He definitely is the GOAT, and hard to imagine anyone ever seriously challenging him for that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. Will be decades before we see another one contending for the honor.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the unique Hakuho Kokugikan autograph---with his notation of a major milestone (similar to the all-time Hits record for MLB). Hakuho autographs are the gold standard for Sumo, and will only go up in value over time. It amuses me to see current rikishi, who have not a 10th of Hakuho's accomplishments, have their signed cards priced in the same range as the GOAT...I have 6 different Kokogikan Hakuho signed cards and 1 of the BBM official signed event engraved cards as well--I would love to pick up a least 1 signed card from a pack, but, like many collectors, am not as enthused about "sticker" autographs. BTW--like you, I do not consider myself a big autograph collector--but feel that Hakuho is one who is worth making an exception for (even at a price tag of around 200 dollars)--he is just THAT special in his sport. Here is a look at my signed Kokugikan cards as well as my event signed engraved BBM sumo cards (they are numbered #337-360 on this page): http://imageevent.com/supplex55/supplex55bbmsumocardcollection1997

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, nice collection. Yeah, Hakuho is the one I compromised on and no regrets. Hard to believe you have six of them and hard to believe their prices are fairly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most of the Hakuho signed, slabbed cards i got for 100 or less---only on the 2020 did i splurge ($200 plus), as I was thinking this may well be his last Kokugikan autographed card while active. I also like the design of the 2020 set--it is quite colorful and an attractive pose as well.

      Delete
    2. That definitely is a great design.

      Delete