Sunday, December 13, 2020

You don't collect Chuck Norris...he collects you! 1974 Japanese Yamakatsu "The Way of the Dragon" Cards

When Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Bruce Lee (I've used this one before, but it never gets old).  Here is a short recap of one of my previous posts on this Yamakatsu set...believe it or not, these two legends met on the screen in 1972 in the movie The Way of the Dragon eventually leading to (spoiler alert) Chuck Norris', aka Colt, death.  Probably the one and only time a Chuck Norris fact that doesn't play out in his favor.  During the insane Bruce Lee hype that swept through Japan in the early 1970s, Yamakatsu captured these two martial artists on a set of mini trading cards leading to rookie cards of the now famous Chuck Norris.  The Way of the Dragon set has 48 cards (Card #s 49-96) with some repeating images, but most of them capturing Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee in different stages of their final duel.  Card #s 1-48 are from the Enter The Dragon set, and card #s 97-144 are from The Green Hornet set.

At the beginning of the year, I was down to only needing 9 more cards from this The Way of the Dragon set...today I added 4 more, and along with one other card I picked up earlier this year, I need only 4 more cards now to complete this set.  A little over a year ago, I completed the Enter The Dragon set (Card #s 1-48), and now have been focused on this The Way of the Dragon set.  It will be one of my collecting goals for 2021 to finish.

Thanks for stopping by!






8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking five steps closer to completing this awesome set. Are you done with the Green Hornet set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Hornet is the hardest one of the three sets to complete. It will be next on my list.

      Delete
  2. Cool additions, good luck on finishing htat one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, to think about 10 years ago I passed up a full, unopened box of the Yamakatsu Green Hornet for less than $200.

      Delete
  3. Four cards, one whole year? You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, here is hoping that I can! Probably will have to overspend though and end up with a healthy amount of doubles.

      Delete
  4. What a cool idea for a card set. (Also, I heard that if you trade away a Chuck Norris card, he will appear and immediately give you a roundhouse kick.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A roundhouse to the face no less. Haha. These cards are interesting and makes me realize how awesome both these guys are.

      Delete