Tuesday, January 5, 2021

1953 Paper Sumo Wrestling (Kami Zumo) Game (G531)

These kami zumo (paper sumo) games are quite interesting.  The playing pieces for the game are not technically cards, but they are ephemera and can be quite collectible.  This 1953 kami zumo game falls into one of those categories of things I like to collect along with my menko and cards.  Kami zumo is quite simple to play; take these paper game pieces/figures, fold them so that they stand, and then lean them against each other on the paper sumo ring (see ring below).  Once they are leaning against each other, tap the table or board that the ring is sitting on in order to vibrate the game pieces and make one of them fall over on top of the other or push the other piece out of the ring.  It can be quite fun and provides that indoor entertainment we all need during COVID.






This 1953 kami zumo game had at least three different color inks used to print the game pieces: red, pink, and brown.  Interestingly, they also came with a small sword to give to the winner as a prize as well as a gunbai (fan) for the referee to point to the winning side.  Measuring about 2" x 2.25" I've only ever seen pieces from this set in almost pristine condition and not played with...not sure why, but I guess all the used pieces were thrown away over the years.  As you might expect, this 68-year old game is quite hard to find and I recently came across 3 "new" pieces to add to my collection.  I now have only 5 in my collection after almost 17 years of searching.




Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. As sweet as these floating head paper sumo figures are... I've gotta say that the stadium/arena set up in that video is a tad bit sweeter. I'm tempted to subscribe... but I feel like I'd waste way too much time watching these paper doll wrestling matches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stadium is legit! It looks like a group of guys that gets together to drink beer and play kami zumo! So much fun!!

      Delete
    2. I'd hang out with those dudes and watch the matches at least once! (Nice pickups for your collection, too.)

      Delete
    3. Right?! These guys are probably so fun to hang out with!

      Delete
  2. I love the look of these, and that little stadium, but I couldn't handle that audio in the video, had to watch it on mute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is a unique sport with the announcer’s voice. Does take a bit to get used to. Cheers!!

      Delete