Friday, January 1, 2021

2021 Hobby Goals

Happy New Year!  As I have mentioned several times in the past, I love reading about how collectors did with their past year's collecting goals and their goals for the upcoming New Year.  I like to do them to help me focus my purchases and hobby time to help give me focus.  2020 was good hobby year for me, but just like everyone else I had to overcome all the challenges living under a pandemic.  I have a feeling most of 2021 is going to look like 2020 and am hopeful we can get back to normalcy by the end of the summer.  Thanks to all my readers and here are my 10 collecting goals this year:

Goal #1: Blog 60 posts this year!

I barely hit my blogging goal last year with posting on average once a week, but this year I want to challenge myself to get 60 posts.  Blogging is more therapy than anything and I hope I can provide a brief bit of information, knowledge, and entertainment as well to the larger collecting community.  I won't be short of things to blog about and am hoping the rest of my life can cooperate.  


 
  
Goal #2: Publish the 5th Edition of the Sumo Menko and Card Checklist.
This is it!  This is the year to get the next edition of my book self-published.  The 4th Edition was completed way back in 2017 and there have been numerous updates and additions ready to be captured in the 5th Edition.  To help me get motivated, I created a draft of the cover already....let's hope this is the year.




Goal #3: Get to the halfway point with my 1973 Calbee set
The 1973 set is a monster in terms of cost to complete.  With cards ranging anywhere from $50-$200 or higher, this 36-card set is a monster to put together.  It takes time and definitely resources to whittle away to completion.  Crazy enough, this is the most expensive sumo set in existence....it even eclipses the sets made in the 1890s....yes 1890s not 1980s...as well as the ultra-rare pre-war sets.  Because of supply and demand, prices have been elevated for a while now, but I am feeling lucky this year to get to the 50% completion mark.  

  


Goal #4: Relabel my Binders/Sets and Pass Along Excess "Stuff"
The majority of my Japanese card collection is in binders, but needs a bit of TLC to properly relabel each of my sets and relabel my binders.  Since my collection has grown from when I first started, I am continually organizing the sets within the binders but wanted to wait until it had settled out a bit before I went back in there and put more permanent labels on everything.  I also need to get into my misc. cards and make sure everything is tidied up and pass along some of my excess in care packages.  Not to mention I need to get my desk stacks incorporated into my collection.  This is the year I'd like to get that done.  Speaking of organizing, look at this binder carousel!  I have my binders on shelves, but this carousel is no joke.




Goal #5: Expand my 1980s/1990s Japanese Telephone Card Collection
I have been totally enamored recently with holographic cards.  Doing some browsing on Yahoo Japan Auctions, there are some legitimate and awesome looking Japanese holographic telephone cards.  I plan on picking up some here and there to complement my sumo wrestling telephone card collection.  Speaking of which, my sumo wrestling telephone card collection was sadly put on the backburner for the past several years, but this is the year I am going to start expanding it.  I used the word "expand" since I don't know which direction I want to take both the hologram and sumo telephone cards yet, but defining them and growing them will be this year's goal.  The real question is, how do I take good quality photos of holographic cards since scanning does not do them any justice?  




Goal #6: Do Something with my Yukata Card/Bolt Collection
I spent a good amount of energy this past year collecting Japanese indigo yukata bolts with their attached cards....so much in fact that there are very few left out there that are coming up for auction.  It's weird...you used to be able to find them on every street corner, now they are almost non-existent.  Anyway, I need to take the 40 or so I have to the next level.  I'll probably try and establish some sort of catalogue system for them and publish them on my blog.




Goal #7: Continue Giving my Non-Sumo Collections Some Love
I'm collecting specific non-sumo sets and want to continue working towards completion of them.  Each one is in a different stage of completion so I have specific goals this year of inching ever closer to 100%.
Amada Nintendo (NES)/Famicon Mini Cards
This 360-card set was issued in 6 different series and is so much fun to chase down.  These cards depict game art as well as actually screen shots from different NES games that were popular in the mid-1980s.  Right now I have only 170 of the cards leaving me a little over 47% complete.  My goal is to see if I can bump the total up by 10% to around 57% which means I need to add about 35 cards to my collection this year.

1983 Myojo Noodle Mechanical (Meca) Cards
Back in 1983, Myojo issued 9 different series of cards depicting different types of mechanical machines: Series 1 - World Steam Locomotives, Series 2 - World Racing Cars, Series 3 - World Classic Cars, Series 4 - World Ships, Series 5 - World Jets, Series 6 - World Motorcycles, Series 7 - World Space Machines/Meca, Series 8 - World Dream Cars, Series 9 - Star Wars Machines/Meca.  Each of these series has 30 cards for a total of 270 cards.  I only have 55 of the cards at the moment (20%), but am looking to boost that total up to 33%, or another 35 cards.  I have confidence that I can do that this year, no doubt!

2014-2020 Airport Trading Cards
I first heard about this set while I was flying through Chicago back in 2015.  I was instantly hooked and have made it my goal to try and collect them all.  No one knows how many there actually are in the master set.  I have it pegged at 156 cards, but I am likely a few short.  Back in October I talked about the "Dirty 5"....these are the 5 toughest cards to get out of the set and my goal this year is to get at least 1 of the Dirty 5!

1974 Japanese Yamakatsu Bruce Lee "The Way of the Dragon"
In 1974, Japan was going crazy over Bruce Lee and to capitalize on his popularity and promote his movies, Yamakatsu issued a three-series set covering 144 cards (48 per series).  Series 1 was focused on the movie "Enter the Dragon", Series 2 on "The Way of the Dragon" and Series 3 on "The Green Hornet".  Each Series gets progressively harder to complete and I was finally able to finish Series 1 back in September.  Right now I am down to needing only 4 more card for Series 2.  My goal for 2021 is to finish Series 2 "The Way of the Dragon" and then turn my focus to Series 3 "The Green Hornet" and add 5 more cards there.  Even something more cool about Series 2 is that it also captures the very first trading cards of Chuck Norris on them!


Radio Shack Zip Zap Cards
Some of the very first miniaturized radio control cars that came to market were the Zip Zap cars marketed by Radio Shack.  These were a huge hit and millions were sold.  All sorts of accessories, upgrades, body kits, and motors were available to customize each of the cars.  Included along with the cars and some of the accessories were trading cards.  Right now, I have been able to track down 82 cards in the master set, but I think there are more than that out there....I have 51 of the 82 (62%) cards, but would like to get that number close to 70% by the end of the year.  I need to go in and update the checklist too and try to get it reflected on the Trading Card Database.

Brandon Laird and Yuta Tabuse Cards
My three PC guys are Nolan Ryan, Brandon Laird, and Yuta Tabuse and my only goal this year is to continue adding to each of the PCs.  I don't have a specific number goal, but at least for Brandon Laird my goal is to start building up his Japanese-issued cards.




Goal #8: Get out at least 1 Care Package a month
I love sending random care packages....I actually enjoy shopping for things to put in them because of the challenge of trying to help fellow collectors out.  I am hoping I can get out at least 12 care packages this year!




Goal #9: Get to The National!
Assuming it is still on this year, my goal is to get out to The National.  Two scenarios: 1) I can hop on a redeye from LAX, land in the morning in Chicago and then hit up the show all day and fly home late that evening, or 2) spend a couple of nights in a hotel and then I can spend a few days at the show.  It all depends on my work schedule and how much time I can take off. 




Goal #10: Maintain/Improve Google/Yahoo/Bing Search Engine results for Sumo Card(s) & Menko
As a repeat from the past four years, my goal has been for this blog to be the #1-at-the-very-top-of-your-browser result when you go search up Sumo Card(s) and Menko.  In 2019, I was the #1 on Yahoo, almost the #1 on Bing, and the #1 to #6 on Google.  Now I am in the top 3 all around!  Here is where I currently stand, let's hope I can maintain that this year!

Sumo Card: Bing #1, Google #2, Yahoo #1
Sumo Cards: Bing #1, Google #2, Yahoo #1
Sumo Menko: #1, Google #1, Yahoo #1
Sumo Wrestling Card: Bing #3, Google #3, Yahoo #3
Sumo Wrestling Cards: Bing #2, Google #2, Yahoo #2





I hope everyone has great luck, fortune, and health in 2021!  Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!

22 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Good luck with your cold ting goals in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year my friend! Hopefully you can hit some of those goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Happy New Year to you too...glad to see you back posting and here is to us both hitting some of our goals this year.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! Still hoping to get the 1998 and 1999 Sumo cards onto the Trading Card Database.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy. Me too! I need to hit you up to help me work out how to start doing some trades on TCDB.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers as well and let's make 2021 a great year for collecting! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Happy new year! That carousel binder thing is spectacular. Of course you're really not supposed to store your binders up right like that lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That carousel is pretty epic....I imagine it is more for documents and not so much for cards, but a nice and tidy way to store the binders in a pinch. Too bad the cost is close to $800! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year buddy! Best of luck on your goals. That 1973 Calbee set sounds crazy. Do complete sets ever pop up? If so, how much do they sell for? I had no idea there was such a thing as a binder carousel... but I want one. Just looked up prices and they aren't cheap. Hologram cards? I rotate them on my scanner. Sometimes the way the light hits the card on the scanner will provide a better scan. Otherwise... I bust out the camera on my phone. Sure hope you're able to make it out to The National. I'll be bugging you with tons of questions if you do end up going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Fuji. There is one complete set of the Calbee out there that is over $3500. It has been out there for a while. That binder carousel is pretty legit, but I have all my binders up off the floor to give me more room. Let's hope I can knock out the National goal this year.....and if I can't get the hologram cards to come out right, I will look you up to help. Cheers buddy!

      Delete
    2. If I win the lottery... I'm gonna buy one of those binder carousels for me... and that Calbee set for you :D

      Delete
    3. Deal! Maybe I’ll get lucky with my scratchers!!

      Delete
  7. Hologram phone cards? Why did you have to show those? I don't need anything else to collect, but now really want some of those! And usually holograms scan pretty well, at least on my awful scanner they do, but photographs work too, especially ones like you've got up in the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some interesting ones out there for sure. Yeah, down the rabbit hole I go. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Wishing you well for 2021! Looking forward to reading updates on some of those super-cool card sets. (Also, look at that binder carousel. Wow.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Got your hockey packs and am looking forward to opening them and posting about them! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your goals! That carousel looks pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, a lot of good comments on that carousel!

      Delete
  10. Happy New year. those are some great goals (especially that Famicom set!!), good luck with them and I look forward to reading 60 posts on here in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year and let’s hope I can make a dent in that Famicom set too! 60 posts here I come!

      Delete