Thursday, December 27, 2018

2018 Year in Review

I imagine a lot of you will be posting this topic over the next few days so I am excited to read about how your collecting went.  I tend to be pretty focused with my collecting and set realistic goals to accomplish so I have some satisfaction at the end of the year.  This year was no different and I feel like I did pretty well.  Thanks for stopping by and keeping me motivated to continue this blog!
 
Here are the 10 goals that I set out for myself at the beginning of the year:


1. Discover and Catalog at least 5 "new" vintage sumo sets (pre-1997) - Grade A+
- Just when I think that there are no new vintage sets to collect, something always pops up.  I've discovered numerous fun sets this year including this tiny little 1940 pre-war beauty that I reported back on in November.



2. Add 2 more 1973 Calbee Sumo Cards to my collection - Grade A+
- This set is one that I am really going to have to get a going on with some gusto or I am going to "invest" upwards of $5000 on it before it is all said and done.  Why singles cards go for an average of $100 is beyond me.  I picked up 3 more this year, but I am still over 25 cards short of a complete set.  Here is a summary I did of this set back in 2016.




3.  Conduct some interviews of fellow collectors - A+
- I am glad I got this interview series off the ground with three interviews of Billy @ Cardboard History, Fuji @ The Chronicles of Fuji, and Tony from the Facebook Group "BBM Sumo Card Collectors."  I haven't done one in a while since I frankly ran out of people to interview.  Raz...you interested?  Give me a holler if anyone is up for it!




4.  Add at least 1 more Murai card to my collection - A+
- This set has proven to be hard as people warned me.  I picked up only 4 more from this T483 Murai World's Smokers set earlier this year as posted here and am up to 9 total in this set.  My goal is to complete this set in raw condition someday.



5. Continue to expand my German Card Collection - A+
- Living in Germany has been fun with respect to collecting German Cards.  I've walked away from many flea markets with some good stuff including these 1933 Salem Gold Film Stars detailed here.




6.  Add two more card catalog books to my library - C
- I thought this one would be one of the easier ones from me to complete.  I didn't pick up any physical books, but did get Engel's 2nd Vintage Edition of the Japanese Baseball Card Checklist & Price Guide in electronic form.



 7. Add to my Brandon Laird and Yuta Tabuse Collection - A+
- I've been whittling away at my two player collections all year long and Fuji has helped immensely along the way with this awesome Laird stash & sweet Tabuse haul.



8. Expand the B.League Basketball Sets - A+
- I love the BBM B.League Basketball Sets and will continue to collect them.  I picked up both the 1st and 2nd Half boxes this year, although I don't officially have complete sets in singles form...yet.




9. Update the BB-Series of Sumo Menko and Bromides - B+
- One of my most ambitious goals this year was to "fix" and update the BB-series of sumo cards and bromides in my book.  There were so many produced during the 1930s-1950s that is was daunting to just get to the spot where I am now....I reorganized all the sets and assigned catalogue numbers to them.  Now all I need to do is get them in electronic form in my book.  I see the goal line in sight, but unfortunately will not cross it this year, but the majority of the battle is over with.



10. Finish the 1974 Yamakatsu's Mini Card Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon (Series 1) Set and add to The Way of the Dragon (Series 2) and Green Hornet (Series 3) Sets - B-
- Gah, I'm still two short on the Series 1 set, about 10 short on the Series 2 set and about 35 short on Series 3.  I did have a nice haul reported back in June.  This set is getting harder as the years go by and maybe in 2019 I'll finally finish Series 1!


With no failing classes and some solid effort and help from friends, I am giving myself an:

2018 Overall Grade = A-
(for reference) 2017 Overall Grade = B
 
 
I'm looking forward to 2019 and I really appreciate all the support you have given this blog over the past year!  Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. An excellent year for you, it sounds like! Hope 2019 is even better! I am planning to begin typing up my Year in Review post today, although I don't plan to post it until January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was a great year and thanks for being part of it. I'm looking forward to reading your Year in Review post. Have a great New Year!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on meeting your 2018 goals! It isn't an easy task to keep up the whole year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been a great year in collecting....on to 2019 now! How did it go for you?

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on earning an A! I'm afraid to even look at what goals I set for myself. I'm guessing I didn't do so well, since I don't even remember what I wrote. That 1973 Calbee is interesting. $100+ for singles? What's the deal? I guess on a positive note... it's good to know that there are other serious sumo card collectors out there who provide enough demand to drive the price up that high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You never know, you might be pretty surprised how well you did. The supply and demand is what is driving the 1973 set since this is really the only "big" set from the 1970s and it has a ton of well-known wrestlers. Have a great New Year!

      Delete
  4. Great work on meeting your 2018 goals! Here's to a great 2019! Also, I'd be interested in being a subject of a "card collector interview".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! Good luck to you in 2019 as well. Shoot me an e-mail at rakuda_chan@yahoo.com and I'd love to start the interview process. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. How can you be running out of people to interview? There's a s*** ton of bloggers out there, most of whom would probably love to do it... I think you just need some help promoting this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, true but cold calling bloggers who I didn’t know well for interviews seemed weird. Adam is up next, but it sounds like you are on deck. Ha!

      Delete
  6. 2018 was great for collecting and blogging and mediocre for about everything else. Best of luck in 2019!
    I'll chime in on the interview list too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll put you down on the interview list.

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't mind throwing my name on the interview list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mike. Awesome, I'll get you on the list. It'll be a few months as I have some other interviewees and regular blogs, but I am looking forward to getting to know the story behind you and your blog. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. No problem.. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! Being able to stick to your goals like that is incredibly impressive and very few people are able to do it.

    Also, while I'm not nearly as much of a blogger as I'd like to be, I would be certainly be interested in being added to the interview queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitch. You got it....I'll get your name in the queue. It'll be a few months, but I'll ping you! Thanks.

      Delete