Monday, December 3, 2018

Before There Was TV - 1931 Kokugikan Sumo Wrestling Set

In Japan, before there were televised broadcasts of sumo tournaments starting in the early 1950s, coverage of the live action occurred on the radio.  We take the internet and television for granted these days, but in the first half of the 20th Century radio and newspapers were the main medium to transmit news and information.  Most of us can conjure up historic images of families sitting around the radio listening to their favorite show.  In Japan, these early sumo broadcasts were familiar to the masses.  In an effort, to place a name with a face, these Stadium/Kokugikan card booklets were produced so fans could follow along a tournament visualize their favorite wrestlers.  These are not unlike the souvenir programs you get at games these days.  Two of these card booklets were issued per year; one showing the wrestlers on the west side of the banzuke, and one showing the wrestlers on the east side.  They issued these in a ten-year span from about 1921-1931.  This one is one of the last ones made and was printed for the March 1931 tournament with the east side wrestlers along with a header cards showing the Kokugikan and the 4 top referees.  Folded up, these booklets measure about 4" x 6", but when it is unfolded, it reaches a length of almost 30".  Each individual card is 1 5/8" x 3.5".  These are hard to find, but one to two come up for auction every year.

6 comments:

  1. Whoah! You find the coolest stuff! This is a really cool piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have included a picture of it unfolded. Pretty neat. The cover actually calls these cards so had to include them.

      Delete
  2. A lot the stuff you talk about is completely outside of my wheelhouse, so a lot of the time I don't really have anything interesting to say, but I just wanted to let you know that I always appreciate the history, as well as the fun facts that you often include in your posts... this one being no exception :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! All sorts of stuff pops up. Shoot me your address over at rakuda_chan@yahoo.com.....! I’ll start a care package for you.

      Delete
  3. Wow. These programs/booklets are awesome! You did a great job of researching the history. I grew up with news reported on the television... and I've gotta admit... it's hard to imagine a world without it. Although I do remember my father lecturing me about the days when the newspaper was his primary source of news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m really trying to capture this history before it gets lost forever. Yeah, we used to sit down in front of the TV during prime time to get our news. Now there is info overload. I still love reading my newspaper and drinking my coffee in the morning.

      Delete