Monday, December 10, 2018

Beer and Sumo - My favorite card of 2018!

P-Town Tom is holding his annual contest for best card of 2018.  I chose BBM's 2018 Sumo Wrestling Card #79, Behind the Scenes with sumo wrestlers Takakeisho (Winner of the November 2018 Tournament!!!) and Onosho who were once teammates in high school and are now "rivals" in the ring.  This one was a no brainer for me.  I definitely enjoy a good beer and how often to you see beer on a sports trading card these days?  The answer is probably zero, zilch, nada, or null unless you live in Japan.  Beer is widely accepted as the beverage of choice during festive occasions as well as eating out with friends and family in both Japan and German....two countries I have grown to love.  Here is a tribute to good times and enjoying a good beer with good friends.  Thanks Tom for running the contest again!


14 comments:

  1. That's the first time I ever recall seeing beer on a card! (Not counting the Coors set of the 90s, and even then I'm not sure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is pretty unique. I'm sure if we look hard enough, some beer has snuck on to cardboard before. This one was intentional for sure.

      Delete
  2. Nice choice! I like the behind the scenes cards also. Cool seeing them relax some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think Japan has some of the most dedicated fans in the world. They eat this kind of stuff up...reading about their favorite athletes and what they do in their freetime.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! You have my vote for Internet Winner of the Day!
    The beer glasses look so small in their hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look tiny for sure. Thanks again for running the contest!

      Delete
  4. Where's the sake?

    Just kidding. That's a cool card. I remember thinking the 1984 Fleer Jay Johnstone card was cool because he was wearing a Budweiser hat. These guys are actually holding beers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, sake! We can’t get good sake over in Germany readily. Miss it.

      Delete
  5. The beers look tiny but I am sure they are regular size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look tiny, but imagine they are the .33l beers. You never know though. I can’t see what brand of beer it is.

      Delete
  6. Two random thoughts:
    1) the beer might become a taboo now given its apparent role in Harumafumi's downfall!
    2) I like beer, but the sumo schedule makes it an awkward fit for me. I like (or at least used to like before having young kids around which have drastically reduced my beer intake) to have a beer while watching a baseball game and the schedule (games usually starting around dinner time on weekdays, or right after lunch on weekends) are ideal for having a beer. Sumo's top division matches start at 4PM and finish at 6PM, which is the worst timing from a beer perspective - right before dinner. So I almost never have a beer while watching sumo on TV, even though having a beer while watching sports on TV is generally my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if beer will be taboo as it is one of the things that helps with the weight gain. Yeah, I get to drink beer and watch the highlights so it goes well for me.....miss watching sumo live on tv.

      Delete